Just a quick post to introduce the OTech Magazine (In case you don’t already know about it).
This magazine is independent, free to download and last but not least non-vendored at all. It’s all about oracle technologies, written by authors who want to contribute for the fun of it.
The winter 2014 issue is life, you can reach it:
- here for OTech Magazine.
- here for direct pdf version.
I also want to mention that I am honored to have been invited by Douwe Pieter van den Bos to write an article for this Winter 2014 issue: It’s about “ASM metrics”, you can read it here.
Enjoy reading !
A quick post to share the presentations I did during UKOUG TECH 13.
It was my first time presenting, I really enjoyed it (even if it was a little bit scary 🙂 ). For sure I will try to renew this experience.
Yesterday was the first of December and I detected an issue with the exadata_metrics.pl script when dealing with the collectionTime attribute.
Month '12' out of range 0..11 at ./exadata_metrics.pl line 255
This is due to the fact that when using perl localtime/timegm the valid range for a month is 0-11 with 0 indicating January and 11 indicating December (while the collectiontime attribute is using 1-12)
The exadata_metrics.pl script has been updated to take care of this rule (It can be downloaded from this repository).
- Without this update the script did not produce wrong values for the DELTA(s) field (It was simply not possible to launch the script during December).
- Guess when I discovered the issue? When I was speaking about my exadata_metrics.pl script during the UKOUG TECH13 conference. Live demo never works as expected :-), but with the help of some attendees (Big thanks to Martin Nash) we managed to bypass the issue during the live demo.
Some months ago I submitted 3 abstracts for the UKOUG Tech 2013 that will take place in Manchester, UK from December 2 to December 4, 2013:
- One to present some examples usage of R with the Oracle Database.
- One to present in a live demo my exadata utility.
- One to present in a live demo my asmiostat utility.
I have been also a volunteer to participate in judging. During the judging I saw ton of quality submissions, some of them made by famous people. Then after the judging I was prepared to get my abstracts rejected and so to stay home.
Last week, I had the honor to get one of my abstract accepted (The R one) and the 2 others in the reserve list.
So, I am very surprised, honored and happy to be speaking at UKOUG Tech 2013.
- Surprised as I was prepared to stay home.
- Honored as the UKOUG is a great event (I have heard only good comments about this event).
- Happy as I will be able to share my work and last but not least I’ll learn a lot from all the person that will be there.
Finally, this will be my first presentation and that’s a little bit scary 😉
Hope to see you there !